LaundryCleaning

Jeans Shirt Changed Color and Texture in Wash

I have a light jeans shirt and I washed it in the washer. It became very tough textured and the color became dark. How I can return it to its original color and texture?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

It changed texture because the weave shrunk. The dye washed off.

I would return the shirt and complain that it is apparently not even washable.

There may be something defective with the shirt, and if it is a very inexpensive one, that may have something to do with it. However, if it became darker in colour, I can't see how it can be that the dye washed out, as the previous poster said. I would suspect that dye from something else in the load has darkened the shirt. Some materials have sizing in them, which washes out and gives them a different texture -- usually softer. It is very unusual for something to be "tougher" after washing, but perhaps it just needs some fabric softener in the wash. In order to know exactly what happened we need to know what else was washed at the same time and the water temperature.

The color has not become darker. It has washed out in the main areas but is still concentrated at the seams. buttons, flaps, etc. These now appear darker.