Keeping Bacon Fresh

Category Storage
Despite the preservatives used in processing bacon, exposure to air can cause it to turn an unappetizing color. This is a guide about keeping bacon fresh.

I eat very little meat. As a result, I haven't invested in things like a bacon keeper; although I did have one years, ago. I bought a pack of bacon just to get the grease for flavoring some turnip and mustard greens I mixed together. (The bacon won't go to waste). I bought frozen greens because all the canned greens had MSG in them.

Air is the worst thing for turning bacon to an unappetizing color. Even if I had a bacon keeper, I couldn't squeeze all the air out. A bread wrapper is all I need. I can press all the air out and the bacon will keep its nice hoggy pink until I use it all. I like that.

My daughter and I eat very little meat but she loves to make bacon wrapped dates as appetizers for some of our group meetings and we always seem to have bacon left over so I will remember to use this tip as usually I end up throwing the left over bacon away.

Anonymous

I need your help, this may sound dumb but I have no clue what a bacon keeper is or what a bread wrapper is. I am wondering if you could explain to me what and how to use them. Thank You Holly

You've never gone hungry. huh?

Ohh no! Don't throw bacon away. Freeze in smaller packages. We eat more bacon, so I cook the whole package and keep it in the fridge ready to go.