Keeping Rats Out of an Outside Aviary

How do I keep rats out of a outside aviary? They ate all 18 of my finches in one night.

By Rose from Sun City, CA

Best Answer

I lost all my canaries; 57 in number, all in one night. They just killed them. Best remedy, as I have not seen one rat since,Cats. Go to the humane society and ask for two that have not been house trained...wild. Keep them in an enclosed area for at least three days. Perhaps your garage. Feed them well. Love on them and they will protect you from mice and rats. Mine are free to roam our yard, and sometimes another will join them for awhile. Also you will have to make sure they cannot get into your aviary.

Anonymous

Rats can't climb smooth slick surfaces so if you tightly wrapped at least two feet high of low gage very smooth sheet metal around the bottom of the outside of the cage that should keep them out. Be sure there are no gaps along the bottom or at the seam and that the seam itself is smooth so they have nothing to grab on to. I would also tightly fit the floor of the aviary with sheet metal too if it happens to have a dirt or wire bottom.