Keeping Skunks Out of My Yard

I am looking for a safe way to keep skunks out of my back yard. I have a dog so it has to be pet friendly. Can anyone help?

By Mother2three from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Keeping Skunks Out of My Yard

You need to eliminate their interest in being in your yard. I also have a dog, a very curious dog who was hit twice by a dreaded skunk defense.

We cleared out the brush that the skunk likes to hide in. Then we put in some solar lights that discourage skunks. The trick is to make sure you aren't helping them by providing shelter, food, or dark places. Even so, when we take our dog out late at night we will still keep her on a tight leash, sniff the air and look around before we give her a bit more slack.

Good luck with it. Remember if your dog gets hit, you will be just joining the ranks of those before you cleaning, shampooing, and shampooing some more. Maybe there is a place in heaven for those of us having fought the good fight.
I am also the mother of three. I am sure avoiding skunks would help keep down the workload. (04/28/2009)

By jholl0829