Keeping Track of Paint Colors Used

Category Painting
Keeping record of the paint brands and colors used in your home will help with future touchups. This is a guide about keeping track of paint colors used.

When my husband paints a room, he removes the light switch plate. Writes the brand of paint and the color under the light switch plate. When he is done painting, I cover the writing with the light switch plate. If you ever need to get any more of the paint for that room, just remove the switch plate cover and you have all the information you will need. I can't rely on my memory anymore, so this really works for us.

By dorothy wedenoja from New Creek, WV

I do part time home daycare a few days a week, and as a result, little fingers often require me to touch up the walls. I would lose track of the paint color or where I had stored the extra. As a result of buying the wrong paint, I developed a system.

I now keep a paint chip card in each room. The one in the kitchen, I keep in the kitchen cabinet, the bathrooms all have theirs in the bathroom cabinet, etc. I also keep a duplicate of each in my calendar book as well, to have with me should I be shopping and see something to know if it would match or not. Should we move, the paint chips will stay left behind, for the new owner should they chose to use the same colors.

I write on the chip after I paint a room with how much it took, if it applied well or not (to jog my memory if I decide to change color so I know if I want the same brand or not) and where I stored the leftover paint at. Also I note where I purchased it, and if it's flat, gloss, semi gloss, etc.

For some paints you must purchase an entire gallon. But, often if you take the chip in, some places will special mix it for you by the quart.