Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

My Kenmore washer is making a loud noise on the spin cycle and not spinning. Any suggestions? Do I call repairman or is it junk? Thanks.

By amy from Dayton, OH

Answers:

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

I've posted this advice before, but not sure where it is archived.

Before you call a repairman or before you decide to trash it, find a friend that knows how to use a carpenter's level. Many of these machines start to malfunction simply because they become a little less than perfectly level. (Most have adjustable "feet" that can get a little out of whack merely by normal use.)

If it still doesn't work after levelness is confirmed I'd consider a repairman before trashing it, but I'd ask for and check out the references of any repair person before hiring!

I have another comment to share as I have "insider" information on this one (relatives in home building and renovation). They hate this fact, but are truthful with their clients; a lot of newer appliances, different brands and different models, just are not made to last. So, if your repairman tells you that you do need a new unit, assuming he's been well referenced as a reputable person, then you probably do need a new unit. Good luck. (11/29/2010)

By Cindy

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

Do you wash a lot of jeans or towels? if you run unbalanced loads you can break the transmission which is a very expensive repair. Look on youtube for information. Keep in mind, if it's already junk, you can tear it apart and try to fix it yourself. Good luck. (12/03/2010)

By Dandelion