Last Minute Birthday Present Ideas

Having a meaningful gift when you've run out of time, can be a challenge. This guide contains last minute birthday present ideas.

My daughter had a last minute birthday party to attend and I did not know the recipient enough to have an appropriate gift. I also did not have enough money for a store bought gift. This is what I did, I scrounged a metal tea canister from the trash, and drilled a hole on the top for a piggy bank. My daughter decorated it and we filled it to the top with pennies, nickles, and only a few quarters at the top! The birthday child loved counting and recounting his money. Our gift was truly original and more creative than stuffing money into an envelope.

By Amylucille from Fremont, OH

Never be caught off guard by a forgotten birthday again! Elegantly wrap a little tin of mints, a tiny picture frame, a fancy pen, or a deck of playing cards; then keep it in your purse, glove box, or desk drawer. Some greeting card companies even make palm-sized cards and envelopes that you can tuck into your wallet for emergency situations!

Also keep a box of birthday candles handy. It's easy to buy a vending-machine cupcake, but the candle makes it look like you thought about it.

WARNING: Overuse of these tricks can make it look as though you don't really care.

The whole point is to remind the people in your life how much you think about them. Be sure to write special days down and plan adequately!

By Debbie from Dundee, MI

Feel free to post your favorite last minute gift ideas below.

I'm turning 15 in 3 days and I don't know what to do for myself and I don't know what I want! That really sucks. I want to find something to get myself.

By Alea W. from Tucson, AZ

Answers

That sure sounds like 15 or a Gemini. Happy birthday to you. Here's something a little different: why not do something for someone else since you cant decide on what you want. First, thank your parent(s) for your 15 years of life, and for the fact that you have the ability to have so many different things to choose from that its a bit of a problem.

Right now there are kids your age, fighting wars, working in sweat farms, being killed, right here in our own country there are kids wondering if they are gonna get to eat today. While others find themselves in a shelter, homeless after a tornado destroyed their home, their family, and their town.

I don't mean to be a "Debbie downer" but I bet you will get back so much more than you ever thought possible; if you donate a few hours volunteering somewhere like an animal shelter,or a children's hospital, a runaway/homeless shelter, etc. I did that once years ago. I still volunteer when I can.

I've never received a gift that gave me the feeling I got when just my presence made a difference in another's life. Best gift ever. Happy birthday.

To add to what sm002 said, how about doing 15 acts of kindness, 1 for each year of your life? I read an article recently about a woman who did this, and her acts of kindness ranged from giving baked goods to local firefighters and police, to providing coloring books and crayons to a family counseling center, to leaving quarters in vending machines for children to find. She even helped someone load their groceries in the rain. Sounds like lots of fun!