AdviceCleaning

Laundering and Drying an Antique Crochet Bedspread

My parents hand crocheted a yellow/white bedspread with cotton thread over 60 yrs. ago. It has been in my linen closet and is in perfect condition. How can I wash and dry it safely. It is full size. Thank you.

I would wash it in a large laundry bag on the gentle cycle with Woolite. Dry flat.

Thank You so much. I will definitely try this.

I'm not sure you can find a laundry bag large enough for a full size bedspread. If it were me, I would not want to take any chances with something like this so I would suggest taking it to a high end dry cleaners and ask them if they will do it and assure you that it will be done properly. It may be costly but hopefully it will look beautiful when finished and they can probably supply you with a safe storage bag.

You could try soaking it in the tub in cold water with some Woolite. Then, squeeze out the water, roll it up with towels and dry the best you can.

Lay flat to dry (perhaps by covering you bed with towels then spreading on top of them with fans on it.