Lemon Lime Soda Babycakes
Using lemon lime soda and lemon zest you can make these wonderful little babycakes for a special treat. They are very easy to make and comparable to high priced bakery goodies.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
These tiny cakes are incredible. I have to start with that because I've never had such a perfect, zesty cake in my life. I tweaked a poundcake recipe to use some lemon lime soda I had in the house. Now these are my family's favourite little cakes. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked to make them. They are so easy to make, and taste better than cupcakes from a pricey bakery. Please try these!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 16 babycakes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 8-10 ounces lemon lime soda
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon lime soda
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the lemon zest.
- Stir in the flour one cup at a time, making sure it's completely smooth. The batter will be very thick.
- Pour in the lemon lime soda little by little while stirring. The batter will be very sticky. Add enough so it still holds together nicely but is not runny. The rest wil go into the glaze.
- Pour batter to greased cupcake tin. Pop in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes, until edges come away from tin and a bit golden.
- Allow to cool while you make the cake glaze.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and lemon lime soda in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle on tops of cooled cakes.