Lhasa Apso Breed Information and Photos

Category Lhasa Apso
Lhasa Apso
These small dogs originated hundreds of years ago in Tibet. Their small size makes them a good choice for apartment dwellers. This is a guide about Lhasa Apso breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Lhasa Apso is a sturdy little dog with a profuse coat of long, floor-length hair, and a prominent beard and mustache.. This breed is very friendly and loyal to his owner and other family members. It has an acute sense of hearing and makes and excellent watch dog.

Group: Non-Sporting group.

Purpose of Breed: Companion and Guard in Monasteries

Country of Origin: Tibet

Average Size: Ranges from 10 to 11 inches and 13 to 15 pounds.

Color(s): Typically black, white, brown, gray, cream or parti-colored.

Coat Type: Coats are heavy, straight, dense and long flowing without being woolly or silky. Regular grooming is essential to keep the Lhasa Apso's coat from tangling.

Grooming: The coat of the Lhasa Apso needs brushing and combing daily to keep it tangle-free. This breed requires standard care for the ears, pads and nails. Eyes need frequent cleaning to prevent obstruction of tear ducts.

Exercise Needs: This breed is active indoors and is suitable for apartment living providing it gets a moderate amount of exercise daily.

Temperament: The Lhasa Apso is gentle, friendly and loyal. This intelligent dog has an acute sense of hearing and was bred to be naturally wary of stranger. It makes an excellent watchdog. The Lhasa Apso dislikes being left alone and prefers the security of a routine. This assertive breed considers himself a "big dog" in a little body. They can be a bit stubborn at times, but make a loving and loyal family pet.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to hip dysplasia and skin, kidney and eye problems

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-14 years.

Trivia: In Tibetan monasteries and palaces the Lhasa Apso served as an indoor guard, while a larger dog, like the Mastiff, stood guard outside.

More Information: American Lhasa Apso Club, Inc.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Growlithe was 10 years on December 23. He was a Lhasa Apso. I was working at a local pet store and when he arrived, I knew I had to have him. At 8 weeks old, he was so adorable. He loved his treats and doing his small repertoire of tricks to get them.

My baby boy passed on Friday, February 26 of this year. He was a beautiful boy even with all his issues. We love him and miss him very much. It would be great to memorialize him by winning this contest. He loved people even though some were afraid of him.

By Valerie from Groton, CT

Growlithe (Lhasa Apso)

Comment Like this photo? 18

Betty is my 1 year old Lhasa Apso. My husband got her for me on our anniversary. She loves chasing balls.

By Teresa L S. from Campbellsville, KY

Black and white Lhasa.

Comment Like this photo? 7

My name is Sophie. I'm a Lhasa Apso. I was born 16 May 2007. When I was adopted I found a very nice paradise. My parents take very good care of me just like a baby. I'm a very healthy dog. In my paradise I have a friend his name is Bob the cat. I like to play with Bob.

My mom and my dad bring me to my vet every year for my vaccinations and a physical. My doctor is very nice to me. Every three months I go to Petsmart for a full grooming. My mom gives me Natural Choice dry food and treats.

Every two weeks my mom gives me a nice bath, cleans my eyes, blows my fur, and brushes me after she puts on some perfume. She gives me a nice treat in my king Kong. I'm a very lucky Sophie, to find a paradise like that. I hope I live a long, long time with my parents.

Lucky Sophie

By Louise

Sophie (Lhasa Apso)

Comment Like this photo? 5

Josie is a 4 year old Lhasa Apso. I had a yard sale to make enough money to buy her and she was the only Lhasa listed in the paper. Had her named picked out before I got her, couldn't imagine her being named anything else.

She loves to go to Lowe's Home Improvement. I can ask her if she wants to go to Lowe's, she runs to the car. She will whimper until I get there, then I put her in a shopping cart and we shop. People come up to her and she loves the attention. We can be in the car and I can say "Big dog, Josie," and she will jump up in the window and start growling and wagging her tail at the same time.

By Phyllis

Comment Like this photo? 9

Bandit is a 10 yr.old Lhasa Apso that I got on Feb. 14, 1995. He likes to lay on his back and put his feet straight up in the air and scratch and wiggle on the carpet. He is so funny.

By Teresa Cangiano

Bandit (Lhasa Apso)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

EJ is a 4 year old Lhasa Apso. I got him when He was only 8 weeks old. He likes to Play ball and run around a lot. He's the friendliest and very loving dog I have ever seen .

But His "Bark" scares ya to death. He barks so loud and rough. Then he'll act like a teddy bear!

By Laurie

EJ (Lhasa Apso)

Comment Like this photo? 5

Lacy is our 2 year old Lhasa Apso. We adopted Lacy from a rescue shelter. She has been through so much in her short life. We brought her into our home and have just given her all the love in the world...She is our angel!

Lacy (Lhasa Apso)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got him from the SPCA. He likes to chase after squirrels.

dog on couch

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

We got Bean 2 weeks ago from a rescue.

Bean (Lhasa Apso)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1