CurtainsDecorating

Lightening the Color of Sheer Curtains

Is it possible to fade my purple sheers to a muted or dusty purple?

You could start with a very mild bleach and water solution. Add more bleach until you get the result you like.

You do not say how many sheers you have but if they are/were expensive I would give this a lot of thought before trying this with anything more than water and sunshine.

• Most sheers are either nylon or polyester material and usually these fabrics do not take well to bleach.
  • I have read and watched videos of it being done but most sites will tell you that you should not use bleach with polyester but it will occasionally work with nylon.
  • The absolute safest way to lighten anything is to wet it and put it in the sunshine - it may take several days. It has to be wet down many times and spread out or hung on/over a line for this to work.
  • Ad

• You may have good luck with a mild bleach solution but most sites state that it will not work if you do not use hot/hot water.
  • There are a lot of mixed reviews about using this method in the washing machine and most say it can be a disaster.
  • Have you thought about buying a few lighter panels and mixing them (maybe one/one) for a lighter look?
  • www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=246155

If they were expensive and in good shape, why not consider selling them and buying the color you need.

If they were inexpensive and if you were willing to sacrifice one panel for the team for the art of it....you could cut it up and mix up some dye bowls...like the Rit products...try white and blue and red. Very small doses writing down exactly how much in each bowl then follow instructions to dip and dry. If you hit upon a good color you can recreate it for the rest of the panels.

Years ago, when I was a camp arts and crafts counselor we used to do this with various cotton t and tank shirts (most sheers aren't cotton so check the dye box to see what works with your fabric...if any). With cotton, we had a lot of neat effects. I wish I had kept some if them. Very artsy!!

I'd try a very diluted bleach, but only if these are not expensive/one of a kind curtains because bleaches can damage some sheer materials. Do you know what they're made of?

I think bleach would destroy the fabric. I would leave them alone.

I would bleach them in Clorox and water. Put lots of Clorox and equal amount of water in the washing machine making sure the curtains are completely covered, put the setting on "gentle" cycle and let them "wash" for just a few minutes and then see how they come out.