Children and Long Hair

My daughter is almost 12 and has super long hair down to the middle of her back. Should I cut her hair short or keep it? It's a lot of work when I comb it she always screams about the knots. Any opinions?

By emmayou

I have long, long, baby fine hair (to my waist) and I have found it easiest to let it nearly air dry and then gently brush it with a soft natural bristle brush. This removes tangles and smooths the hair so it does not tangle easily. It is important to keep the ends trimmed of any splits. She is old enough to do this for herself if she wants to keep it long. With my hair, I can't give a fair opinion on whether to cut it or not.

No don't cut it. Put leave in conditioner in her hair after she towel drys her hair after getting out the shower ... makes it easier to brush. You can buy some at Walmart for around $4.

Start at the bottom of the hair and work your way up when brushing.

What does she want to do? Maybe just cut it a few inches to see if she likes it. Or put it in a braid rather than trying to comb it out each day.

If you have been caring for it all this time, it will be hard for her to start. I would cut it to shoulder length. Teach her to comb from the bottom up to get rid of tangles. As she learns to care for her hair, she can grow it out.