Making A Beading Loom

Category Loom
Making beaded bracelets and chokers is a longstanding craft that has delighted children and adults for years. The first thing you need is a loom. This tutorial can guide you through the steps needed to make your own.

I have loved using a beading loom since I was young. In the past, I use to make them for my friends. They are great for making bracelets out of beads or even thread. My goddaughter wanted to make beaded bracelets for her friends at school and we could not find a loom here in Tahiti. We decided to make our own so she could make her bracelets. This is a simple project and anyone can make one to use at home.

Total Time: 15 Minutes

Yield: 1 Loom

• plywood
  • 4 screw hooks
  • 2 L-shaped screw hooks
  • 2 bolts
  • 2 nuts
  • pencil
  • ruler

1. Cut the piece of plywood the length and width you desire for your loom. I cut mine 15-inches wide and 20-inches long.
  2. Advertisement

3. Draw a line down the center of the board using your ruler. I do this to mark the center of the board to make it easier to string the loom in the end.
  4. Now measure off the inches on the line and mark them. This helps you to know how long to make your bracelet.
  5. Find the middle of the line at the end of the board. Go up about 2 inches and draw a straight line. The line should be as long as the bolt you are using. Do the same on the other end.
  6. Advertisement

7. At the end of the line you have drawn place one of the hook screws, place them at the end of all the lines so that you have 4 hook screws now on the board.
  8. Put the end of the bolt on the outside of one of the hook screws and place the other end of the bolt on the other hook screw. Now place your nut to hold the bold in place. Repeat this on the other side.
  9. At the end of the center line on both sides of the board place your L-shaped screw hook. These are used to thread the loom with.
  10. Advertisement

11. Your loom is now finished and you can start to thread the loom. You will tie a knot at one end of the loom around the L-Shaped hook and run the thread across the bolt, down the center of the loom and pass it across the other bolt, and now wrap the thread around the L-Shaped hook and repeat the process until you have threaded the loom with the number of threads needed to make your bracelet. Keep in mind if your bracelet is 6 beads across, you will need 8 lines of thread on te loom. The outside 2 threads are used to secure the beads.

Crafts Beadwork LoomMarch 13, 2020
🐰
🍀
🌻