Making Bread Bowls

Category Bread
Use your yeast bread dough to make edible containers for soup, chili or salad. This guide contains recipes and tips about making bread bowls.

This makes a great presentation for a party

For Chowder:

Directions:

In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing, add 1 to 2 Tbsp. of water or flour (if needed)

When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into six portions; shape into balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with egg white.

To make bowl, cut the top fourth off of bread; carefully hollow out inside of round, leaving a 1/4 inch shell. (Save bread for another use)

For chowder, in a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add mixed vegetables. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk until combined. Bring to boil. Cook about 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon, bouillon is dissolved. Serve in bread bowls.

Servings: 8
Time:40 Minutes Preparation Time
20 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Taste of Home

By Laniegirl from Iowa

It is Chili and Chowder time. Here is a good recipe to make when friends are getting together.

Combine these 3 ingredients in a small bowl and set aside to "proof". It should "grow" in the bowl which means it will foam up and begin to fill the bowl.

Meanwhile, combine these ingredients in a bowl large enough to add the flour*.

Add the yeast mixture and stir .

* Approximately 7 cups all-purpose flour

Then add half the flour and stir well. Stir remaining flour in 1/2 cup at a time until the dough pulls together and loses some of its stickiness.

Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-10 minutes. Add flour a little at a time to sticky spots as you knead it. Wash your bowl out, dry it and lightly oil it. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it once to coat with the oil. Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.

Punch dough down, and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 inch round loaf. Place loaves on lightly greased baking sheets sprinkled with 1 Tbsp. cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 35 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Make an egg wash of 1 egg white and 1 cup of water. Lightly brush the loaves with half the egg wash. Bake for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining egg wash and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks

To make bowls: Cut a 1/2 inch thick slice from the top of each loaf and scoop out the centers, leaving 3/4 inch shells. Fill bread bowls with your favorite chili or chowder and serve immediately.

Source: I found this on the internet somewhere a few years ago after we had eaten chili served this way in a little diner in Utah.

Bread Directions

• 1 (1 lb.) loaf frozen bread dough or you can use your own

Bake bread in a round 9-10 inch bowl. Cool. Then slice the top off and cut the inside out 1 inch from the side, leaving a hollow shell. Fill with dip and cover the whole loaf with tinfoil and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until dip is warm.

Dip Ingredients

• 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
  • 1 (8 oz.) package bacon-flavored cheese or Co-Jack or Cheddar
  • 1 package dried beef, cut fine
  • 16 oz. sour cream
  • 1/2 cup real bacon bits (not imitation)
  • 1 tsp. minced onion or 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. liquid hickory smoke
  • salt and Lawry's seasoning to taste

Directions

Mix well and fill bread bowl. Place bread bowl on a large platter and surround it with bread pieces, taco chips, etc. Note: Use bacon bits only if you are not using bacon-flavored cheese.

By Robin from Washington, IA

What type bowls do you use to bake them in. I want to try making the bread bowls where you take off the tops after they bake and add soups, etc. But I don't know what type bowls or pans to use in order that they come up real high. Does anyone know what I would use to bake them in to achieve that? Thanks.

Julie from Greeneville, TN

Answers

Julie,
This recipe seemed to have good reviews:
http://allrecip  owls/Detail.aspx
Good luck - sounds yummy!

There was just a recipe for making them in last months magazine, CookCountry. I didn't copy it before I took it back to the library, but basically it used a loaf of frozen bread dough, thawed and then stretched over bottom of ovenproof bowl or large custard cup for individual bowls. Bake it at temp directed on pkg. They did spray bottom of bowl with oil to make it easier to remove the bowl.

Thank you both for the help. My mom use to save her starter to make her own sourdough bread.But I'm not that patient. Now that they make it and offer it in the frozen section thats what I was going to use. I know it will rise high but I did not think it would go high enough to create a bowl. But that idea of over the outer pan sounds great.I'll try it. I love homemade creamed potato soup so I thought I'd try it first then move on to other ideas to put inside the bread bowl. Besides vegetable soup or chili I can't think of many. If anyone has ideas on that too, I'd love to know of more. Thanks

I have had chili, clam chowder, chicken soup, potato cheese soup and other thick soups in a bread bowl. It also works nice for salads, including seafood or tuna salad.

Enjoy!

I used to work in a bakery. We used smallish stainless bowls to create the bowl shape. We first made a ball of dough, rolled it into a nice flat circle with a rolling pin, and draped it over the stainlwss steel bowl which was big (open) side down. Does that make sense?? Then we baked it right on the bowl. We had several bowls so we could make a few at a time.

I really enjoy a beef stew in a bread bowl...The grocery stores now have them fresh in their bakery depts. Sometimes 2 to a package or you can just buy the big round bread and serve a group with the small breads sliced and garlic toasted..YUM GG Vi