Making Cafe Curtains

I am making cafe curtains for my dining area and plan to use the clip-on rings to hang them. The rods I am using are the tension type, so they fit inside the window casings. Now the question is: should I still make a pocket for the rod at the top although it will not be necessary for actually hanging the curtain since the curtain will hang from the clip? I mean just for "looks", should I make one?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

If you plan on using curtain hooks to hang your curtains I would suggest this:

Step 1
Determine the finishing length of your curtain by measuring the rod to the bottom of your window. You will need to allow for a 2-inch double hem on the top and bottom of your curtain. Therefore, you will need to add 8 inches to your final measurement.

Step 2
Determine the width of your curtain by measuring the length of your curtain rod. Multiply this by 2.25 to find your final width. You will now need a 1-inch double hem on the four sides so therefore you will need to add 8 inches to your measurement. Once you have the final measurement divide it in half for the two panels of your curtains.

Step 3
Sew all the sides of your curtain first. You are using a 1-inch hem. Therefore turn your material and measure 1 inch and now turn it again. Double sew the side hems.

Step 4
Repeat step 3, but this time you will turn your material 2 inches for the top and bottom hem. Double sew the top and bottom hem.

Step 5
At the top of your curtains, place your hooks. The double thickness of the hem will hold your curtain clip on rings and not tear your material.

It seems you already know how to make your curtains and only need to know if you should place a "pocket" at the top.

Step 1
You will need some sort of hem at the top of your curtains or they will not have a finished look.

Step 2
Since you will be using clip-on rings a one inch hem across the top should be sufficient but a two inch may give you more leverage as to how to fit your clip-ons.

Step 3
The type (thickness) of the material you are using will also be a determining factor. If it is a thin/sheer type material you may want to add a strip of material to the end before you hem just to give it more body for the clips.

Step 4
You may want to make a 2 inch pocket just in case you change your mind and want to slide it on the rod.

Here is a very easy way to make cafe curtains just in case you need additional help with measuring or making your curtains.
http://www.woma … curtains-107373/

Curtain pockets.

I would do it just in case you ever want to switch them.