PastriesBaking

Making Cheesecake in a Pie Pan

I am making a cheesecake and I don't have a springform pan. Can I use a pie pan?

By Laurel

It depends on the type of cheesecake you're making Laurel. What does your recipe call for?

Real Cheesecakes such as the New York Cheesecake will need a round or square pan with sides at least 2" tall and the diameter called for in your recipe. You can get by with using a round or square pan without having the convenience of being able to remove it as you do from a spring form pan

If you're making one of the Jello type cheesecakes that require no baking at all other than maybe to set the "crust", then I don't think it matters at all. A pie tin will work just as well as anything. You will need to pay attention to the size to make sure it's large enough to hold the filling.

I would in any case, follow as closely as possible to what your recipe tells you to use for the best results.

Hope this helps.
Pookarina

You could use a pie pan, but I wouldn't try to put it on another plate when it is done and cooled.