Making Citrus Peel Earrings
Making jewelry for nature is a fun way to recycle and add a unique piece to your jewelry collection. This is a guide about making citrus peel earrings
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Next time you eat an orange don't throw the peel away. Use it to make a pair of earrings.
- 1 piece of citrus peel such as orange or lemon
- 1 pair of earring hooks
- nail varnish
- 1 cocktail stick
- 1 pair of scissors
- Use scissors to cut the shape you want out of the peel. Note that the shape will shrink slightly when it dries.
- Place the cut out shape on the back of the remaining peel and draw around it with the cocktail stick so that you will have a another identical but reversed shape for the second earring.
- Cut this out with scissors too.
- Use the cocktail stick to pierce a hole in the peel and waggle it around a little to make the hole a bit bigger
- Next you need to dry the peel. You can do this in a very low conventional oven, in a microwave oven, or on a sunny windowsill. Take care your peel doesn't burn. If you decide to microwave them, do it in 30 second bursts and wipe the moisture off the plate in between.
- Once they are absolutely dry you can paint them with your favourite nail varnish. Leave adequate time to dry between coats just as you would with your nails and paint one side at a time. Don't forget to protect your work surface. I like to recycle so I used an empty potato crisp packet.
- Use your cocktail stick again, or a paper clip, to reopen the holes which will be clogged with varnish.
- Thread them onto the earring wires.
- You can also use this method to make a matching pendant or connect shapes with jump rings to form a pretty bracelet. You can even paint your nails with the same varnish so you will be completely matching.
October 5, 20150 found this helpful
This is really cool, I'm going to try this! Thumbs up! :)
October 6, 20150 found this helpful
SOOO COOOL :)
October 7, 20150 found this helpful
I love this idea. I like the metallic nail polish, I assumed they were metal at first glance.
November 16, 20150 found this helpful
Nice fruity earrings!