Making Crochet Mug Rugs
Even a beginner to crochet can make up these cute rug shaped coasters for their home or to give as gifts. This is a page about making crochet mug rugs.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I thought the idea of a rug for a mug was so darned cute I couldn't wait to try one. The pattern is simple and I have given you three styles to choose from. I saw this idea online, but made my own pattern.
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 size J hook
- 1 oz variegated and solid yarn of your choice
- 1 scissors
- 1 darning needle
- With your variegated yarn, chain 16 and make a single in the first chain from hook. Chain 1, skip 1, and make a single in the next chain. Continue across for 1 more row. The chain base row sort of makes up for one row. From here on out, when you use the variegated yarn, you will make 3 rows.
- Now you will make 1 row of the solid color. Keep your tails both beginning and end about 4" long. It makes them easy to weave back to the center and tie.
- Also make the next row of either solid or variegated as you were turning your work. If you were wondering why I chose 3 rows instead of 2 or 4, it's so you have a tail on each side of the work. Continue on till the rug is 14 rows long, or pretty much twice as long as the width.
- For the fringe, tie them in a double knot like you might the fringes on an afghan. Don't make them too short, about 3/4" is best. There you have three types of mug rugs. These make nice gifts with a mug and a coffee single or tea bag!! N-JOY!!
- So here are the three choices. You can make one just plain. Weave in the ties and tie in the back or leave a tail and sew it down. You can do a binding stitch around one with a slip stitch (shown) or a single crochet. And you can make one with a fringe like a real rug.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.