Making Crochet Mug Rugs

Category Patterns
Even a beginner to crochet can make up these cute rug shaped coasters for their home or to give as gifts. This is a guide about making crochet mug rugs.

I thought the idea of a rug for a mug was so darned cute I couldn't wait to try one. The pattern is simple and I have given you three styles to choose from. I saw this idea online, but made my own pattern.

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 3

• 1 size J hook
  • 1 oz variegated and solid yarn of your choice
  • 1 scissors
  • 1 darning needle

1. With your variegated yarn, chain 16 and make a single in the first chain from hook. Chain 1, skip 1, and make a single in the next chain. Continue across for 1 more row. The chain base row sort of makes up for one row. From here on out, when you use the variegated yarn, you will make 3 rows.
  2. Ad

3. Now you will make 1 row of the solid color. Keep your tails both beginning and end about 4" long. It makes them easy to weave back to the center and tie.
  4. Also make the next row of either solid or variegated as you were turning your work. If you were wondering why I chose 3 rows instead of 2 or 4, it's so you have a tail on each side of the work. Continue on till the rug is 14 rows long, or pretty much twice as long as the width.
  5. Ad

6. For the fringe, tie them in a double knot like you might the fringes on an afghan. Don't make them too short, about 3/4" is best. There you have three types of mug rugs. These make nice gifts with a mug and a coffee single or tea bag!! N-JOY!!
  7. So here are the three choices. You can make one just plain. Weave in the ties and tie in the back or leave a tail and sew it down. You can do a binding stitch around one with a slip stitch (shown) or a single crochet. And you can make one with a fringe like a real rug.
  8. Ad