Making Curtains

Category Sewing

If I have a 10 foot wide window, how wide would you make each panel? I know the rule of thumb is the curtain width should be 2 1/2 times the length of the window. I didn't know if it wasn't different with the drop cloth material. Thank you.

By Lisa

Best Answer

With any fabric, the rule of thumb applies - unless you want super gathered curtains, in which case doubling that 'rule of thumb' measurement usually results in really good looking, privacy creating-light blocking (ish) curtains when closed.

Be advised a drop cloth is usually fairly heavy and even standard gathering will create a heavy curtain panel - be sure your curtain rod (and the wall it's screwed to) can support the weight of what ever amount of gathering you choose.

And what a great idea! I hope you'll upload snaps of your finished curtains!

Best Answer

Since the drop cloth is so heavy would it be more feasible to have box pleats at regular intervals and use tape across the top to form a rod pocket? Two or three pleats per panel would give fullness without all that weight from gathering.