Making Decals Using a Plotter
It's easy to make personalized decals with a Cricut or other plotter. Newer models allow more flexibility to plot whatever design you want.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I made 100 decals for a friend who is a local hip-hop artist. He ordered them in the colors he wanted and I made them for him. He sold out of them within a week!
Total Time: 4 hours
- 2 ft red, blue, black, and white vinyl film.
- machine plotter/film cutter
- knife razor knife
- card hard card
- 1 ruler 39" ruler
- 500 ft 12" masking tape
- I had to get the design, put it through a program that controls the plotter machine.
- Once added into the system, I made the image more clear.
- After that I put the vinyl film into the plotter and allowed the program to cut the designs out of the film.
- Once complete, I pulled/cut the excess pieces of film out of the original design using a thin handled OLFA razor knife.
- Then I applied the masking tape over the cut out designs using 12" medium stick masking tape, and used a hard card to flatten and seal the decals.
- Finally I used the 39" ruler to cut straight and equal sized individual decals.