Making Hand Warmers

Category Sewing
A simple gift to make can be hand warmers. They can help hands stay cozy in your pockets when it's cold outside. This is a guide about making hand warmers.

I saw this idea on Pinterest and thought it was such a nice way to have a little warmth on those days you have to go out in the cold. You can make a pair very quickly. I just made basic squares. But, I've seen hearts, owls, ladybugs, you name it. These would make a nice gift for those in cold climates.

Total Time: 15 minutes for both

Yield: 2 or as many as you would like to make

Source: Seen all over pinterest and etsy.

• fabric
  • rice
  • sewing machine
  • funnel

For your fabric, choose one with natural fibers such as cotton or flannel. Synthetic materials could melt in your microwave. No one wants that!

1. Take 2 layers of fabric a little bigger than the size you want your warmers to be. I used a book as a guide. Trace around your template. Make sure that your fabric is facing the right way. The side that you want to see in the finished product will be facing inwards on both sides. (Hope that makes sense!) My squares ended up being 4 inches all around.
  2. Ad

3. Cut out your fabric squares.
  4. Start sewing from the top of one side. Go around and sew 3 sides. For the last side, sew about halfway, leaving enough room to add the rice later. Reinforce the stitch where you stop.
  5. Ad

6. Trim around the edges. I cut the corners a little so that it's not too bulky when you turn it. Leave a little more fabric at the opening. You will turn this over and sew it closed. You want a little extra.
  7. Turn inside out. Use your finger to push out the corners.
  8. Ad

9. Insert your funnel in the opening. I used the top of a soda bottle to get the job done. If you have a nice-sized funnel, you could use that. Add your rice. Fill it up about 3/4 of the way. I used about 1/2 a cup.
  10. Fold your opening closed. Hand sew it closed. Make the stitches close enough, so that rice doesn't leak out.
  11. Ad

12. To use: put in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Don't heat it too long or you could burn the fabric or the rice. These stay warm for about 30 minutes or so.

These heart hand warmers make great gifts and are a nice way to use up fabric scraps.

• fabric, 100% cotton
  • needle
  • thread
  • sewing machine
  • uncooked rice
  • thin cardboard (for template)

1. Create a heart template with the cardboard. You can fold the cardboard in half, draw half a heart on the fold, and cut out to make a symmetrical heart.
  2. Trace the template onto the fabric, making 4 hearts. Cut them out.
  3. Pin two hearts, right sides together. Sew with a sewing machine, leaving an opening for turning and filling.
  4. Snip the curves and cut off the point.
  5. Turn right side out and use a funnel to fill with rice.
  6. Sew closed using a barrel stitch.
  7. Heat in the microwave for 30 second intervals until hot.

Keep your hands toasty this winter, by making a set of these reusable fleece hand warmers. This is a guide about making fleece hand warmers.

Making Fleece Hand Warmers

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Sew up some heart shaped hand warmers for those chilly nights. Use felted wool sweaters and rice. Easy to make and great for small gifts or Valentines.

Heart Hand Warmers Tutorial

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

What do you put into a hand warmer/rice bag to make the fragrance?

By Dee

Answers

Hi Dee, I make these with rice only, but my mum says you can put lavender in them. I think I might also try them with a little cinnamon, so they smell like Christmas.

Hi Dee, Ruth made some for me as my hands seem to stay cold in the winter months. They are wonderful. You can use rice,flax seed and corn. Adding lavender or spices is a bonus. :)

I have made larger ones for aches and pains but never thought of a hand warmer, what a great idea. Don't use instant rice though, it has to be long grain. Also wheat will work very nicely.