Making Headbands

Category Miscellaneous
Unique headbands can be made from all kinds of new and used fabrics. This guide is about making headbands.

I love headbands, for fashion (especially on a bad hair day) and for washing my face to keep my hair from getting wet. Now that spring is here, I like to use colorful headbands - here is a great frugal way to make your own "stretchy" headbands that stay in place and are cute and cheap, cheap, cheap and don't leave dents in the side of your head.

Look around for colored tights, you can get them in any color (I myself am a Goodwill gal, so I get mine second hand - hey! that's what a washing machine is for). Cut off a "leg", and cut the foot part off. Wrap around your head, stretching so you have some tension to hold it in place once it's on. Then cut to desired length, you can sew together, or simply tie the ends in a know.

Obviously you will get more than one from one pair. I love these and use them all the time! I even have one in orange. :)

By Carol from Lancaster, PA

One more use for a old, clean, pantyhose leg: Cut to size and tied in a knot at the ends, they make great headbands; perfect for keeping my hair out of my face when I'm doing housework, etc.

By Denise from FL

Another easy thing to make with the smallest ("baby") Knifty Knitter is headbands! You can make them out of wool to cover your ears in winter like a skier - or in acrylic to be light - even in cotton yarn for the lightest option. Just use the knitter as usual, but only do a few rows until you have the width of the headband you want. I closed off the edge with a loose overhand stitch so the circle would be the size I wanted (the stitches really stretch).

By pam munro from LA, CA

Can you give me any information on how to make headbands? Thank you.

By Kathie R.

I recently saw a baby wearing a really cute headband made out of pantyhose. I have searched the web for instructions but couldn't find any. Does anyone know how to make these darling headbands?

Bea from Ogden, UT

Here is a new use for old pantyhose: If you are not into wearing headbands but would like an inexpensive one to keep your hair back while doing housework or just washing your face; cut the waistband (leaving it in a complete circle) off a pair of tired pantyhose. It works great and won't damage your hair.

By Marnita from Cumming, GA