CatsPets

Making Litter Box Cleaning Easier

As a cat lover with six cats, I clean litter boxes a lot. I came up with a tip that makes it easier and less messy. I use a small round bathroom size trash can and put a bag inside it. I scoop the dirty litter into the bag inside the can and carry it with me. When finished, I carry the can outside, take out the bag, tie it and put it in the trash. No more carrying a bag, missing it with the scoop of dirty litter, or having a hole in the bag and ending up with dirty litter on the floor or all over your shoes. It saves me a lot of time and reduces messes.

That's a great idea! But even better we discovered something called a Litter Genie--like a Diaper Genie (I think made by same company). It seals the stinky stuff away and we can get away without changing out the bag (and dragging off to garbage can). It's been a life saver, and it even has a side slot pocket to hold the little scoop. You do have to buy the special long bags that you knot to close off at bottom, and cut off when it's time to knot off and bring to garbage can. However...you can be cheap and buy the clear garbage bags from a giant box from Costco...but they aren't that expensive. It's a game changer for us, plus we use the Tidy Cat Glade (NOT the light kind) clumping cat litter, a little Arm & Hammer powder air freshener sprinkled on it, and one of those dollar tree gel bead air fresheners on top of the litter box makes it all much better! Plus--we figured out you can just add water to the gel beads in the jar container--and they swell up and work again, over and over!

I used to purchase litter in the big buckets (now sadly too heavy for me). I line one of the buckets with a plastic grocery bag. I also purchase diaper disposal bags from the dollar store paying $1 for 75 of them.

They are scented which helps to keep the odors down. I scoop the box, deposit in diaper bag, and into the big bucket. Come trash day I tie off the big bag and out it goes.