Making Models and Dioramas

Category Model Making
Making models and dioramas can be a fun hobby or a school assignment. This is a guide about making models and dioramas.

Building a model or diorama of a famous building is a common school project. Depending on the age of the student it can be as simple or complex as you like. This is a guide about building a model of Canberra Parliament House.

Canberra Parliament House

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

A school project about medieval times might be a great time to make a model of a castle. This is a guide about making a castle model for school.

Castle made of wooden blocks.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making your own model railroad structures. Money can be saved by making your own buildings for a model railroad landscape.

Model Railroad

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I ran across these a second time and decided it deserved to be shared! Print these cute little 3D paper models toys, tanks, planes, people, a wolf, The Star Fleet and more! ALL FREE! (Assembly required)

Link: http://members.home.nl/saarloos/

My 1st grader has to make a model of a green iguana. I don't have a lot of funds to do this and it has to be quick (she has 2 little sisters), easy, and durable. I was thinking about paper mache, cotton balls, or something along those lines, but I can't find any instructions. Any advice?

By Desire from Jackson, MS

Answers

Have you thought about using plastic bottles? You would have to help her attach legs and even a head by poking holes in the bottles and putting a loop of card through, but this would make the legs, head, tail movable. Use a automotive paint for plastic bumpers and dab with wrinkled paper while wet to make it splotchy. Paint before putting together, but you can lay out the pieces to plan what goes where Glue on buttons for eyes and a piece of material for a tongue handing out of the opening in the head bottle/can. Except for the painting this should be less messy than paper mache. Hope this helps.

Don't you just love those crazy projects like this one?
Get a picture of an iguana first. Then shape some aluminum foil to look like an iguana. Then you could paper mache it.

Good luck.

Anonymous

Go online and search for photos of iguana or search clip art. If you find a photo of iguana print it in black & white, you can then find scrap fabric and cut it out and if you sew (I don't), sew one up. Or you can just get idea from the photos.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. We did end up using aluminum foil, wrapping it around some bendy straws. I used the bendy parts to make the legs and used old toilet paper rolls to bulk it up a bit. And I had some finger paint around the house so I was able to just paint it. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas!

I'll post a picture of it when I can!

I'm painting a model airplane. What colors do I need to mix to make the color "steel"? Your feedback, please!

By Jesse from Santa Ana, CA

Answers

Mix black and white for a nice gray and then I'd add a little blue for a more authentic look. Have fun!