Making Paper Bag Lanterns
Paper bag lanterns, sometimes called luminarias, are fun to make for parties or holiday decorations. This is a guide about making paper bag lanterns.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Kelli Mahoney0 found this helpful
August 1, 2005
These are great for children's parties. You can even have you kids help you. They can be hung or you can put a light inside them to see how they brighten up a room!
- colorful gift bag
- flat craft sticks
- whatever else you like
- Cut the bottom out of the gift bag.
- Then decorate the bag by coloring, painting, putting stickers, or gluing ribbon on. The possibilities are endless here.
- I cut out a rectangle toward the middle and used a craft punch to punch out some stars along the bottom. Do not cut anywhere within 1/4 inch from the edges, as you will be using this space.
- Cut the craft sticks to the width of the bag. You will need at least 4.
- Glue the sticks across the folded sides of the inside of the bag. This will help keep the bag open.
- Cut 1/4 inch slits in the corners of the bag (along the creases). Fold the paper over to make the edges smooth and glue them down.
- You can use wire, string, or ribbon to hang the lanterns if you want. Just punch holes toward the top of the bag and string the wire, string, or ribbon through.
- You can then glue or stick on your final embellishments.
Keep embellishments light. Also, because you are using paper, candles are discouraged.