Making Potholders From Fabric Scraps

Category Sewing
Fabric scraps can easily be made into beautiful potholders, both simple and more complex quilt style blocks. This is a guide about making potholders from fabric scraps.

Use those scraps of material for a quilted potholder.

Approximate Time: At least an hour.

Instructions:

1. Cut all your materials to the "rough" inch dimensions.
  2. Locate the center of the blanket circle and lay the 2 inch scrap of material there.
  3. Pin four 4 inch squares of material that you have folded into triangles. Sew down. Then remaining four over the first and sew. Row one completed.
  4. Ad

5. Row two is 1/2 inch back from the points of row 1. Sew the first four over the original four you sewed, then sew the remaining four to complete the row.
  6. Sew row 3 3/4 of an inch back from the points of row 2 in the same manner.
  7. Trim the edges of the triangles to match the circle of blanket.
  8. Sew the circle of backing material to the back. (I do not use the same color as the seam binding.)
  9. I use a hand crank sewing machine, so I hand sew the seam binding onto the material.
  10. Your potholder is now ready to use, give as a gift and always machine washable.

By Tedebear from San Jose CA

I have a lot of fabric and a lot of scraps leftover from my projects so I decided to make some potholders from the scraps.I have not been able to master the binding that goes around the edge so I tried something different.

I cut some 2 1/2 inch strips (4 per square) and sewed each one to each straight edge (after quilting the square), folded down the end and sewed across it. For loops, I made some from the matching material or you can use bias binding that's been sewed together. These binding strips are cut into 5 inch pieces, fold one in half and insert into end of potholder and sew across.

You can use most anything to sandwich between the potholders, but I find old flat blankets or fleece at the thrift store work well. You can even use old clothes, the possibilities are endless!

I have made 100 or more so far and they are selling like hotcakes, can't make enough of them and they are very easy to make. Oh and these are cut into 9 inch squares.

Hope you enjoy making these potholders as much as I do.

By Marian from Danville, VA

Does anyone have easy directions for making fabric potholders out of left over material that are both pretty and useful too? Thanks and God bless!

By Debra from TN

Answers

Best Answer

I used to make my own potholders. A good padding is mattress protectors. They are thick and they have seams throughout. I would look for some at thrift stores (new in package), or garage sales (new) or catch them on sale. They go a long way considering the size vs. price. Same with sheets. They can be a great bargain in terms of price vs. amount of material. You might consider covering them in sheeting material (you can use double thicknesses of material and probably should for pot holders. Don't try sewing in the thick areas, sew a seam around a thinner area. I agree with the previous poster, don't make them too ornate unless you don't plan to actually use them. It is a shame to have a beautiful potholder and then get it scorched and stained.