Making Toasted Oat and Vegetable Soup
The nutty, wholesome flavor of toasted oats is a great addition to your veggie soup. This is a page about making toasted oat and vegetable soup
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a great way to bring out the nutty flavours of oatmeal before thickening up your vegetable soup. This soup was so incredibly delicious, ready pretty quickly, and cost just a few bucks to feed 6 of us. You can use chicken, beef, or vegetable stock with this.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 27 minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 6 tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups broth (any kind)
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges for serving
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pot over medium-high heat and add the onions, carrots, peppers, and zucchini. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until some of the edges are a bit browned.
- Make a well in the middle of the veggies and add another teaspoon of oil. Pour in the oatmeal and stir to toast.
- Mix everything together and cook for just a minute. You don't want the oats to stick to the pot, but it's okay if some do as the liquids will come in handy.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic and stir well.
- Pour in the broth, the water, vinegar, and chopped parsley. Stir and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often so oatmeal doesn't settle on the bottom. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lemon wedges.