Making Yarn Dogs and Other Animals

I would love to know how to make the yarn dog without the wire. And a pattern on how to make it with the wire. I would also like a horse and other animals as I want to make them for my grand and great grandkids. My great grandkids can't have the hanger ones. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

By Glenda

Best Answer

Long before Pinterest and YouTube...When I was an arts and crafts camp counselor many, many, MANY a summer ago, we made animals (dogs, cats, pigs, etc.) from yarn and empty bleach bottles.

The kids would make the yarn bows like you make for the hanger dogs, but glued them on to the bleach bottle with white glue. They were messy, but cute. Strictly for decoration as if you played with them, the yarn would fall off.

If you want a "to play with" yarn toy, we also made various animals from yarn pompoms...tying them together. They were more sturdy and the kids always came up with unusual color combinations...like green and purple dogs and red and yellow cats!

I found a neat Pinterst link that may help you find directions. Sadly that was so long ago, I have no memory of the exact how-tos! At least I remember the fun I had :)

www.pinterest.com/.../?lp=true

Here is a pattern using a Pom Pom maker. www.handmadecharlotte.com/.../