Making a Beaded Necklace

Category Jewelry
Beaded Necklaces
Making beaded jewelry is a great craft to get involved in. It is one that can be adapted to all skills levels, including children. This is a guide about making a beaded necklace.

Glass pink beads mixed with pearls make this a beautiful necklace!

Approximate Time 1 hour

I bought the pink beads from Wal-Mart (craft section). The pearls came from a yard sale and the metal wire came from another craft project. I have used elastic for my necklaces and bracelets, and have used fishing line. If you use fishing line, you will need the ends to put the necklace together. You can get those for a small pack for under a dollar at Wal-Mart as well.

Instructions:

1. String 3 pearls.
  2. String a seed bead.
  3. String a large pink bead.
  4. String another seed bead.
  5. String 3 pearls.
  6. String a seed bead.
  7. String a small pink bead.
  8. String a seed bead.
  9. Repeat all.
The only measuring I do is when I get close to the end. I wrap it around my neck to see how it's going to look and feel. When I'm happy with it, that's how long it is.

By AngelLoveInOhio from Akron/Canton area of OH

Kelli Mahoney1 found this helpful

A simple choker and bracelet can look great for adults or children, and they don't need to be too complicated to make, either.

Choker Supplies:

Directions:

1. Cut a 3 inch piece of wire.
  2. One inch from the edge of the wire, use a small utensil like a toothpick to shape a small circle in the wire. Do it again next to the circle so that you form a figure 8.
  3. Then put on the small seed bead on the wire and pull the end of the wire back up and twist the wire so that the bead is in the center of a circle.
  4. Ad

5. String the larger bead onto the longer part of the wire with the wider end resting on the figure 8.
  6. Take the remainder part of the wire that you used for the figure 8 and the seed bead, and tuck it into the larger bead. It does not need to come out the other end of the larger bead, and if it does, trim the wire.
  7. Take the wire that you strung the larger bead on and turn it around the toothpick three to four times, then cut off the remainder of wire. This will give you the loop to string the necklace through, so before cutting the wire, make sure the loop is big enough to get the bead onto a necklace or to string your jute through.
  8. In the picture I wanted to give it a natural look. If you want to do this rather than put the bead on a metal chain, you measure your neck and cut a piece of jute or hemp 4 inches longer than your measurement.
  9. Take your clasp and tie a knot around the loop of the clasp. Double knot the hemp and put a drop of glue on the knot.
  10. Do the same for the other part of the clasp. I like the hook and eye clasp with this type of project. Once the glue dries, you can trim the hemp close to the knot.

Supplies For the bracelet:

Directions:

1. Create the dangles first. Take a pin and put on a seed bead. Then put on the larger bead. Then turn the top part of the pin around a toothpick (you may want pliers to help you here depending on the strength of the pin). Create 4 to 5 dangles.
  2. Cut a piece of thread 4 inches longer than your wrist measurement. Tie one end to the clasp. Double knot the string and put a drop of glue on the knot.
  3. Then begin stringing beads.
  4. Use a pattern of beading. For my bracelet, I used two seed beads, a trumpet bead, two seed beads, and a dangle. Then I went back to two seed beads, a trumpet bead, two seed beads, and a dangle. I measured it so the dangles would be placed evenly around.
  5. Continue beading until the beads are a little wider than your wrist.
  6. Then tie the string to the other part of the clasp, and put glue on the knot. Once the glue dries, you can trim the string closer to the knot. Then, enjoy!

This is a guide about making a simple asymmetrical beaded necklace. Make this eye-catching necklace yourself. It is a good craft even for a beginner.

Simple Asymmetrical Beaded Necklace

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking for instructions and patterns for making beautiful beaded jewelry.

By Kathy G.