Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans

Category Purses
A bootie bag a a purse made from a pair of jeans, using the upper portion, waist down. This bags all have the benefit of the existing pockets and can be personally designed and adorned to make a unique bag to fit your needs and style. This is a guide about making a bootie bag from jeans.

I have been going through clothes like crazy and have found many that do not fit my child yet, are torn or otherwise ruined, so that no one else could get benefit from wearing them.

My craft is aimed at storage for my craft items and warmth. To that end I have been making bags. This way I solve two problems at once, really three, if you count repurposing the the old blue jeans into these storage bags. How they help me stay warm is that I fill them with things and place them against the cold wall next to my side of the bed.

I would like to know how to make the bootie bag from jeans that has a flat bottom. My problem is how to make the sides hard that they stand up by themselves. I have tried over and over to make this. Can someome please help me with this?

Bonji from Elizabeth, PA

Answers

i make jean purses and to get stiff sides i use plastic canvas......you can usually find it at thrift stores(thats where i have found alot of it) or at craft stores if you dont have anyluck there

I love these! Thanks for the link, Ellen.

Old jeans are just too interesting to throw away or even recyley (to fabric mashers). Yep, I've been using the legs for fun bags, but Boot Bags are just too cool!

As to stiffening and hard bottoms? Balsa wood is light-weight, cheap and easy to use/cut. Plastic 'whalebone' (used in girdles) might be a solution, carboard would work, but only if wrapped in plastic to repel moisture, stiff foam is a good idea, but has anyone seen the new ad for Floam? It might work, too.

In the fabric department you can purchase different "degrees" of interfacing (stiffner). I would cut it to fit the denim and use an iron on fusing material to bond it to the denim. Some of the interfacing even comes already with the fusing on it. This would need to be done before sewing the bottom of the bag together. You could also bond a liner to the interfacing, too, giving you a different fabric inside your bootie bag.
I make handcrafted bags, if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me.

http://www.2ewenique.com

I saw the cutest bags and know I can make them for myself. Just have to figure out how. I guess they are called the bootie bags and yes they are made from denim jeans. These had stiff sides. So where do I get the handles? I don't have a sewing machine co can I do it by hand and if so what will I need? Does anyone have any pictures they can send me of a step by step process so I can see how exactly to do the bottom? Thanks so much

Can anyone give me a site to get free step by step instuctions for making the bootie bag?

I would recommend using the back board for mats when you mat artwork (found in an art supply store or Michael's). It is strong enough and can be covered with fabric using spray mount.

Any suggestions on where to buy the cute beaded handles ~or~ how to make them , like what gauge wire, how to close the loops, etc.... Also where do you buy cheap belts too? Thanks.

lining your bag to stand up on it's own, you must line bag first. then cover panels of very thin wood with same fabric. you will cover three pieces of thin wood for front and back walls. one for bottom. hot glue in place.(on the inside) the side' do not get paneled. the panels can will be snug.

buy your instructions from diva bootie bags her instructions are great on ebay that is the way I learned how to make them and sell them very nice instructions.

by Elena

For the sides, use foam core - available at most craft stores. It's what's used in real Bootie Bags.
The bottom is covered plywood.
Plain handles are available at craft stores. Make sure that you get beads with holes large enough to go voer the handles. Connect handles to the bag with the seams from the legs that you cut off. Fold them over the handle connectors and staple to the foam core.

P.S. You can do it ALL with a hot glue gun and a staple gun.

I think that everyone that has posted instructions is way off. I have been making them for 7 years and nobodys I have seen look very good. They look cheap and very homemade. I could get you my instructions and you would save alot of money and time. I sell my bags for $150 to $500. They do not look homemade.

Using plywood is wrong, too heavy and if it gets wet the bag will warp.

I would have to email you my instructions with a photo. I would have to send them later, as I have to type them up and then forward them.

If you would just go to Ebay, you can purchase instructions (very easy to follow~Very thorough~with pictures). I purchased the instructions from one person on Ebay and am very sucessful in my purse business! You can find these instructions by using the Search Engine and type BOOTIE BAG...you will see that there are only a couple of ppl offering instructions for these bags..Like I said before..they are very good instructions and very easy to follow!
Good luck with your search..I hope I have helped the ones looking to find the way to make these adorable bags! Have fun!! :o) (Included is a picture of the bag that I made for myself..It is absolutely GORGEOUS!! I made this bag from a pair of Black Wranglers)!!

Does anyone know how to make a lined bootie bag? I have managed to make the outside (jeans portion) but can't figure out how to line it?

Sandy from Lufkin, TX

Answers

I haven't made a Bootie Bag, but I found this on the web (starting with step #9 for lining): http://www.craf  hp?topic=30282.0

I would like to have insturctions on how to make a bootie bag. i almost have it but I need more help.

Thanks,
Bonnie from Pittsburgh

Answers

Hi Bonnie!!! If you mean a denim purse/bag made from old jeans, here is one site...there are others :)
http://www.craf  do?projectID=835

Or perhaps you're talking about a house-slipper travel bag? What's your understanding of a bootie bag description? If it's to hold coins or something
like in biblical times, it's done with security in mind,
with each of two pair of pull cord strings pulling in the opposite directions within their own separate "tunnel" about 1/3 way down from top of bag, and not exactly opposite of each other when pulled, but rather slightly offset by about 1/3 inch. Good luck and God bless you. : )

What do you mean by a " bootie Bag"?

This is another site I found: http://www.craf  opic=30282.0;all

To see what a Bootie bag looks like go to imaginarykingdom.com and click on bootie bag.

How do you make bootie purses?

Answers

http://www.craf  do?projectID=835

This can be a no sew project if you have a glue gun.

I'm looking for instructions for a bootie bag made from old jeans. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Ellen from Maricopa, CA

Answers:

Making a Bootie Bag From Old Jeans

My niece and I make purses from old blue jeans. Is this what your mean?

Two styles: cut off and seam at the crotch or do a single leg, cut off with tie offs. I believe we do a quarter in tie off across the leg. Strap is made from rope/jute. (09/16/2006)

By tjtooth

Making a Bootie Bag From Old Jeans

If you would go to ImaginaryKingdom.com then click on bootie bags then click on the picture, you will see what I'm talking about. I can figure out how to make the purse, but it looks like it has or would need some sort of stiffener to help keeps it shape. If so what would I use. Thanks. Ellen from Maricopa (09/19/2006)

By msettamae2

Making a Bootie Bag From Old Jeans

It looks like you would get a cardboard box or something of that sort and glue the fabric to it? Im going to try it. (09/22/2006)

By Christi

Making a Bootie Bag From Old Jeans

Could you use the large sheets of craft foam for stiffening the bags? Cardboard might not last if the bag got wet. The foam comes in colors which might act as a lining as well as stiffener. (09/22/2006)

By jean