DecorRecycled Crafts

Making a Butterfly Suncatcher Using Uniquely Shaped Lids

I have a storage room. During every season, I need to eliminate the moisture. So I buy these as the Dollar Tree. They are called, simply enough, Moisture Eliminators.

I have noticed for a while that the lids looked like half of a butterfly. That was all it took! This is a great craft for kids. If you have a separate bead for each of the 36 holes, that would be awesome, too!

Total Time: About 3 hours

Yield: 1

1. The lids have little holes above most of the sections. I used that to hang the beads. You need beads that catch the sun and can still take a needle big enough for the thread to go through in the eye of that needle.
  2. As you can see, not every lid section will let you hang a bead. Some are too small or don't have the tiny "hang hole". I picked 36 spaces, 18 on each lid, and went to work.
  3. You will need to leave a longer tail then normal on each bead, as tying it is tedious. But once you have tightened it a bit, you can make sure the bead has enough slack to hang down. Then tighten it and cut the tails close. Fill all 18 holes as shown. Then do the other side.
  4. When the beads are strung, you can lay the "wings" down and glue the center together. If you use regular epoxy, it will take about 24 hours. Don't rush it. When it is cured, glue one end of the ribbon on the back and wrap some of it around the "spine" or "body" of the butterfly and and glue the end.
  5. Fold 1/2 of a chenille stem in half, glue it to the back and then curl and shape it for antennae. Glue some ribbon to the back of the lids for a hanger. N-JOY!!

That's cute, Sandi!

Turned out beautifully :) My kiddos are into butterflies and learning about them!

I just believe you could call this "creative"!!
Really a neat project.

Thanks everyone! I so wish I had had different colors, how much prettier that would have been. But I needed that tear drop shape and only had that one color. I am so glad you all liked it!

You sure did give that an entirely new and pretty look!