Making a Crocheted Fan

Category Ideas
You can use this same pattern to make a pin, or barrette by changing the size. This is a guide about making a crocheted fan.

I love fans and designed this one for you to make with a single strand for a pin size, double for a barrette, or larger with yarn for a wallhanging.

Approximate Time: 30-40 minutes with embellishments

Instructions:

1. Row 1: Ch 6, join.

2. Row 2: Ch 1, make 9 sc in ring. Join

3. Row 3: Ch 3, make DC in same st. and 2 in each across the next 4 st. for 10 DC's.

4. Row 4: Ch 4, make DC in next st. Ch 1, make a DC in each of next 9 st. for 10.

5. Row 5: Ch 1, make sc in each st. across.

6. Row 6: Ch 3, make DC in same st. Ch 1, continue across for 10 sets of 2 DC's.

7. Row 7: Ch 4, skip 2 DC space and slst in space across for 10 loops.

8. Row 8: Ch 1, make 1 sc, 1 HDC, ch 5 and make slst in first ch of 5, making a “picot”, then another HDC and sc in loop, around for 10 loops with picots. Break off and weave in tail.

9. Handle. Join thread at bottom of first circle at base of fan. Ch 10, joining at base. Ch 1, making 20 sc in loop, join and work in tails. Your ribbon or other embellishment will cover any “ooops factors” you might have.

10. Embellishments. This pattern and all patterns with even numbers won't allow you to have the ribbon on the outside on each side of the fan. It's a numbers thing we can't change and I chose not to do anything with odd numbers. If you are new to crocheting, you might find “fixing it” too complicated. So, I let the ribbon that folds under to the back show, then covered the other with flowers.

11. When you are done with the “pretties” you can attach it to a barrette, magnet, pin or simply leave it for a small wall hanging. If you choose a wall hanging, I would make the ribbons a bit longer. But, that is an artist's choice.

I hope you enjoy this for that special someone or even for yourself! PBP

By Sandi/Poor But Proud from Salem , OR

Really cute.

That is really cute! I'm not sure how big it is, but I'm thinking I could use stiffener on it to make it a great accessory for my granddaughters' barbies!

Thanks for sharing this!

Although it wasn't pretty, I put the measuring tape there so you can see it's about 5" wide at the widest point. I hope that helps. Thanks for the kudos! PBP

I noticed the tape measure after I hit the send button, lol! I thought of another use for this, it would be a nice decoration for the Christmas tree, if you put a clip on the back of it. Endless possibilities.
Thanks again!