Making a Dried Banana Leaf Crown

Category Miscellaneous

If you have access to banana leaves, weave them together to make these festive crowns. Perfect for a luau or special birthday party.

My niece came over the other day and asked me to help her make a dried banana leaf crown. I was a bit surprised because her mom makes the most beautiful crowns. She explained to me that she could not follow the instructions her mom was giving her and knew I had an easy way to make a crown. In just a few minutes she picked up my technique and within an hour had completed her project. This is so easy and anyone can make a beautiful crown for all occasions.

Total Time: 1 Hour

Yield: 1 Crown

• 2 or 3 dried banana leaves
  • scissors
  • ribbon

1. Cut the banana leaves off the stem of the leaf. You can just cut down the middle on both sides to take off the leaves.
  2. Advertisement

3. Tear them into pieces that you will use to make your crown.
  4. Take the stem from the banana leaf and make a circle the size you want for your crown. Attach the ends together with your ribbon.
  5. Cut a piece of ribbon to work with. Normally a few feet is good to start with. You can always add more if you run out. Tie the end of the ribbon to the centerpiece.
  6. Take a banana leaf and fold it in half. Place the fold on the centerpiece and wrap the ribbon around the centerpiece to secure the leaf in place. You will be working towards you to make the crown. That means the next piece you place on the centerpiece will be right below the first one you just wrapped. As you can see the banana leaf is displayed on both sides of the centerpiece.
  7. Advertisement

8. Continue placing the dried banana leaves on the centerpiece and wrapping the ribbon around the centerpiece as you go along. When you reach the end, you will tie off the ribbon.

Crafts MiscellaneousMarch 19, 2020
🌻
🐛
😷
🐰
👒