Making a Dump Truck and Mountain Cake
My son loves vehicles of all kinds, so I decided to make him a cake with a dump truck on it. I created a road going up to the top of the cake and there is a truck dumping a load of chocolate chips over the side.
- 10" cake pan
- 6" cake pan
- 1 box cake mix
- chocolate buttercream frosting
- Wilton decorating icing, green (with star tip)
- chocolate chips
- chocolate cookies, optional
- plastic wrap
- toy vehicle
- sharp knife
- Starting at the top of the 6" cake, insert the knife in from the side, and work your way around the cake at an angle towards the bottom edge. Then at the top again, insert the knife straight down, about 2 inches from the edge. Work your way around the cake ending where you finished the side cut. Remove the piece of cake, leaving a road spiraling from the top to the bottom. Remove any extra bits of cake to make the road uniformly wide all the way down.
- Frost the 10" cake with the chocolate frosting. Set the 6" cake onto the 10" cake. Add a dowel to hold it in place, if desired.
- Carefully frost the 6" cake, as shown below.
- Use the green decorating icing to create grass and plants on the cake.
- Cut a small piece of plastic wrap, just big enough to keep the vehicles wheels from getting icing on them. Lay the plastic onto the cake and put the vehicle in place. Gently push the vehicle down to keep it from rolling off the cake.
- Add chocolate chips to the truck and make a pile of them below the truck.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.