Making a Flower Shirt

Category Clothing
Flower Shirt
If you want to dress up a plain shirt or update an older one, try adding some handmade fabric flowers. This is a guide about making a flower shirt.

Ruffles and flowers are so big this spring so I thought I would make my own designer looking shirt. I bought this t-shirt. You can either make your own or buy one to embellish. These flowers are made from different size circles and sewn on the t-shirt.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Instructions:

1. Cut different size circles out using objects around your house as a pattern. My largest size was 2-1/2 inches and the smallest 1 inch.
  2. After you have several cut out, set your candle on a paper plate and light it. Holding a piece of the fabric in your tweezers, hold it just above the flame, made 1/2 inch, and pull it away when it starts to melt.
  3. Ad

4. Turn the circle till all edges are curled in the shape of petals.
  5. After you have them all done, stack with the largest on the bottom and smallest on the top.
  6. Tack them together with thread and needles. Using fabric glue, glue pearls or other stones in the center and let dry overnight.
  7. Then you can either sew them on the t-shirt or use fabric glue to glue them on.
  8. I chose to sew them on in case I would ever want them off for any reason. It doesn't take a lot to sew them on, just tack them in the center and a little above the center so they don't flop downward.

Note: Make sure the fabric you use to make the flowers in polyester or otherwise it won't melt properly.

Also, please don't do this in front of any small children and give them any ideas about playing with fire.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

What a fun idea, can't wait to try this. Thank you for sharing this.

Love it! Thanks.

Very beautiful! Love it!