Making a Granny Square Purse

Category Purses
A simple, beginning crochet pattern is the granny square. This page is about making a granny square purse.

Gauge: one motif = 3 1/2 inch square. The finished size of the bag is approximately 9x9 inches.

Approximate Time: 8 hours. I crochet slow

Instructions:

Start by making 8 granny squares. Sew 4 squares together for front and 4 for back.

Edging: DC in each stitch around. 5 DC in each corner.

With wrong sides together join yarn at top left corner and work 1 row of SC around to opposite corner to join 3 sides of bag.

With right side of work facing, join yarn at seam and work 1 round of SC around top of bag. Join with slip stitch.

Make 2 handles. Ch 49. I made mine longer. DC in 4th chain from hook and each chain to end. Chain 3 (counts as first DC) 1 DC in each DC to end of row. Turn. Third same as row 2. Do not turn.

Fold strap in half length-wise. Work 1 row of SC through remaining loop of foundation chain and corresponding stitch of last row to join edges together. Fasten off. The handles are double thickness. Sew on handles using needle and thread.

I also put a lining in with pockets. I hand stitched the lining along the top edge. You can block it with a steam iron.

I got the pattern free at the craft store.The website is http://www.sugarncream.com/. It calls for Lily Sugar 'n Cream 2.5 oz. yarn. However, I just used what I had.

By Little Suzy from OH

Crafts Crochet PursesNovember 25, 2012
🌻
📓
😷
😎
🐛
Generated 2020-07-22 19:16:26 in 994 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Granny-Square-Purse.html