Making a Honeycomb Shadow Shelf
Use craft sticks to make this creative honeycomb shelf. It's great for displaying mementos and curios. Make more than one and cluster them for a stunning effect.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I made this mini shelf out of popsicle sticks with the intent to display mini figurines sent to me by my Japanese pen pal. When placed next to a window or lamp, it casts wonderful dimensional shadows, really showing off what's on display. This is a great craft for all ages.
I used wood glue because some of my figurines are a bit heavy. Other glues on the stronger side can be used.
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 shelf
- 36 Popsicle sticks
- wood glue
- thumbtacks or nails for hanging
- Lay out 6 Popsicle sticks in a hexagon, making sure all angles are even; one on top, one on bottom, and so on.
- Without moving the angles, lift the sticks that are on top and add a dot of glue on the ends of the sticks on the bottom, then reattach the top sticks.
- Press the ends firmly onto each other and allow to dry.
- Now add a dot of glue to the ends of each stick on top.
- Glue the sticks on staggered so they leave a space between them. This will help capture light and cast the shadows.
- Use some tacks right under the top ledge to hang it on the wall. Add anything you'd like to display, and the light shine through!