WallsHome Decor

Honeycomb Shadow Shelf

I made this mini shelf out of popsicle sticks with the intent to display mini figurines sent to me by my Japanese pen pal. When placed next to a window or lamp, it casts wonderful dimensional shadows, really showing off what's on display. This is a great craft for all ages.

I used wood glue because some of my figurines are a bit heavy. Other glues on the stronger side can be used.

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 1 shelf

1. Lay out 6 Popsicle sticks in a hexagon, making sure all angles are even; one on top, one on bottom, and so on.
  2. Without moving the angles, lift the sticks that are on top and add a dot of glue on the ends of the sticks on the bottom, then reattach the top sticks.
  3. Press the ends firmly onto each other and allow to dry.
  4. Now add a dot of glue to the ends of each stick on top.
  5. Glue the sticks on staggered so they leave a space between them. This will help capture light and cast the shadows.
  6. Use some tacks right under the top ledge to hang it on the wall. Add anything you'd like to display, and the light shine through!