Making a Lion Cake

Category Cakes
A themed cake can be made for a birthday or special occasion. This guide is about making a lion cake.

My son's 4th birthday party had an animal theme, but living overseas presents difficulties in finding cute cake pans. So, I created my own lion. It's one round cake, ears and muzzle from a second cake, and 12 cupcakes. Because of allergies, the main cake was chocolate but the mane was white cake. I iced the cake as usual and then used a writing/vine tip to create "hair"

My son LOVED it and was so proud to show his classmates!

By Kelli from Sentani, Indonesia

The lion cake is adorable! You are very creative.

I especially like your use of the cupcakes and the way you streaked them for the mane.

You did an excellent job on the cake. I wouldn't have ever guessed that the lion's mane were decorated cupcakes.

So cute. I can imagine your son will always remember that birthday! Very creative!