Making a Privacy Screen

Category Miscellaneous
A privacy screen can be a decorative room divider or something that you use outside to create a more private setting. This is a guide about making a privacy screen.

I often work in my garage on crafts and upcycling kinds of projects. Unfortunately I don't always want my neighbors to be looking at me or seeing my mess. The solution I came across is a privacy screen made out of standard fence boards. I used 4 or 5 boards held together by cross bracing with 2x4 or other wood, and standard L- shaped book shelf brackets on each side to allow it to stand on its own.

This size is light enough for me to move on my own and short enough to be left in place so I still have adequate ventilation in my garage workshop. In this photo you can see the salvaged room divider screen I initially found for the same purpose.

By Katt from Orange, CA

You can use this screen for privacy or just for daily inspiration. It does take some time because of its size, but well worth the time invested. If you are artistic, make your own canvas frames and hinge them together. If not, buy the large canvases and hinge them together. Look for sales at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Approximate Time The size makes this take more time.

Instructions:

1. Join your canvases together with the hinges. If you are using three canvases, be sure to flip the hinges over on the third panel so it will fold the other direction.
  2. Draw out your "stones". Open out the panels to make sure your stones line up. Using a putting knife spread the tile grout on each "stone". Let dry overnight.
  3. Paint stones and let dry.
  4. Come back and fill in "grout" lines. Lines should be recessed between the tile grout.
  5. Paint your scene on the top, making sure to go all the way over the edges.
  6. Ad

7. Optional - glue on your "ball feet" on each corner of each canvas.
  8. Optional - staple fabric on back of each canvas.

By Artlady from Edmond, OK

If you need to section off part of a room but can't find a suitable screen, buy a clothes rail and add curtains. You can even use tab top ones to minimise labour. You'll get a screen that tones with your room, and one that you can update as necessary. And if you need a screen that will exclude draughts, consider hanging a quilt from your clothes rail.