Making a Recycled Book Picture Frame

Category Framing
An old or outdated hardcover book can be recycled to make a unique picture frame. This is a guide about making a recycled book picture frame.

Using an old book, I created a cute picture frame! It makes a unique display for my kids' photos and a nice way to display family photos instead of just leaving them in a box or in your computer. Check it out!

Total Time: 1 hour

• an old book with a pretty cover or appropriate title that might describe the photos
  • glue or hot wax
  • tape
  • X-acto knife and scissors
  • cardboard or stiff colored paper
  • 1 plastic sheet protector (optional)

1. Cut the pages out of an old book that has a pretty cover with an X-acto knife.
  2. Cut squares out of the book cover in a pleasing layout for your particular photo with your X-acto knife. Use a ruler if you need to cut in steps to get through the entire cover. Be patient and careful working with the knife. Make sure the opening is a little smaller than your photos so they don't fall right through the hole.
  3. I slipped my photos into a plastic sheet protector just to protect the photo and make it look like it was under glass, but you don't have to. Then I taped the photos from the back behind the cut out blocks. You may add some cardboard behind the entire back of the project (with a center score down in the middle) if you want it to look more finished, but I didn't so that I can change the photos regularly. Enjoy your family photos!

Very cool. I like to take them and fold back the pages in half for a way to keep receipts, bills, photos or recipes.