Making a Recycled Crochet Snowflake

Category Ideas
Tear an old worn shirt into strips and use them to crochet a colorful snowflake. It is fun and easy. Follow the steps and photos on this page for making a recycled crochet snowflake.

I love anything repurposed so this is what I came up with today. Strips of a plaid skirt crocheted with a tiny snowflake pattern comes out big and bright!

Total Time: 1.5 Hours

Yield: 1

Source: The pattern was on Google. It was tiny, but now is big.

• 50 ft strips of fabric skirt
  • 1 scissors
  • hot glue gun
  • 1 large button
  • 1 size N (large new one) crochet hook
  • 50 ft metallic elastic thread

1. With the strips glued together, cast on and chain 3. Make another 11 single crochets in the first chain (make this a little bigger than normal). Join and chain 3
  2. Ad

3. Make a double crochet in the next stitch. Chain 3 and repeat this another 5 times. Join and chain 1.
  4. Make 2 singles in the chain 3. Chain 5 and make another 2 singles in the same chain 3. Repeat this another 5 times. Join and cut off a 2" tail, working into the back.
  5. I found the chain five to be less pointy than I wanted so I cut 6 pieces of the thread about 3" each and used them to tie the chain fives at the base. You can see this better on the last shot.
  6. Ad

7. I took a coordinating color button and made it look like the golden thread was sewn in the holes. I just threaded them through doubled and did that twice in each direction, gluing it down in the back.
  8. With the hem of the skirt, I made a loop for hanging it. N-JOY!!

This came out about 8" wide so while it's a bit big for an ornament on a tree you could hot glue it to some wire and make it a tree topper!