Making a Recycled Eggshell Vase
Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
January 28, 2020
This is a very elegant vase that can be used in your home, as a table decoration for your wedding, a gift for a friend, or used as an art project in school. Small children can easily make this vase and it is a great gift for Valentine's Day or even Mother's Day. Applying different mediums to glass vases can give you astonishing results. Next time you are looking for an elegant gift for the perfect person, save your eggshells and make them a vase they will treasure for a long time to come.
Total Time: 8 to 10 hours
Yield: 1 vase
- 1 vase or recycled bottle
- eggshells, crushed
- white acrylic paint
- gold glitter gel
- wood glue
- Elmer's glue
- artificial flowers
- hot glue gun
- green raffia
- You can find nice vases at the Dollar store or you can recycle a glass bottle to make this project. Wash and clean the bottle first. Now apply a coat of white paint to the bottle. This makes it easier to apply the glue in the next step.
- Wash and clean your eggshells. You will need to crush the eggshells into smaller pieces.
- Lay the bottle on its side and apply wood glue to one area of the bottle. Spread the glue around with your paintbrush to get a nice even coat.
- Take the eggshells and apply them to the bottle. I normally will press them down a bit to get them into the glue. Stand the bottle up and brush off the excess shells. Continue to apply the eggshells to the bottle until it is completely covered. Set aside until the glue dries. If you want to speed up the drying process, you can use your hairdryer.
- In a small bowl, add some Elmer's glue and just a small amount of water. Now paint the entire surface of the bottle with the glue mixture. Allow this to dry.
- Once dried, you will paint the outside of the bottle with 2 layers of white acrylic paint. Allow the first layer to dry before applying the second layer.
- Take a large, flat paintbrush and some glitter gel. You want to lightly brush the outside of the bottle with the glitter gel. This is to highlight the bottle and the gel normally just sticks on the raised area of the bottle. Allow this to dry.
- Before adding the finishing touches to the bottle apply a layer of varnish to the bottle. Allow this to dry.
- Use your hot glue gun to add the raffia to the neck of the vase (optional), add your flower design to the base of the bottle. Your bottle is now finished and ready to use.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.