Making a Retro Starburst Mirror
This fun decoration can be crafted at home. This page is about making a retro starburst mirror
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Bring back the Groovy Days by decorating your walls with a mirror you can make yourself!
Approximate Time: 2 hours
- 1 6 inch wooden disk
- 1 7 inch craft mirror*
- gold acrylic craft paint
- small hand drill or crop-a-dile scrapbooking tool
- low-temp glue gun and sticks
- 1 5 inch Styrofoam disk
- 1 pkg bamboo cooking skewers
- gold spray paint
- assorted sized small round craft mirrors**
- high-temp glue gun and sticks
*comes in a 2-count package at Hobby Lobby
**3 25-count assortment packages and 1 24-count 1/2 inch package used in this project
- Paint wooden disk gold on both sides and allow to dry.
- Paint one side and all outer edge of the styro disk gold, using the acrylic craft paint. Spray paint could melt Styrofoam, unless specially formulated for use on it!
- Using low-temp glue gun and sticks, adhere the Styrofoam disk to the center of your wooden disk. Do not use high-temp glue gun and sticks, as they, too, will melt Styrofoam!
- Clip a hole in wood disk edge for hanging.
- In well-ventilated area, spray 32 of the bamboo skewers with gold spray paint, allow to dry, then turn the sticks and spray gain. Repeat this step several times to ensure good coverage.
- Using pointy end, poke 4 skewers evenly spaced around the styrofoam disk (12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock positions). Try to stay near the middle of the disk's edge and insert each stick well enough to hold firmly. Then insert 4 more, evenly spaced between the first batch.
- Now, clip 2 inches off 8 skewers and poke these in between the ones you just did.
- Finally, clip 3 inches off the remaining skewers and insert them in between the rest. These are your "spokes".
- Now, using high-temp glue gun, begin carefully attaching the assortment of small craft mirrors all over the 'spokes".
- Final step, using low-temp glue gun, adhere the 6 inch craft mirror to the very center, over styrofoam disc, hang, and enjoy your groovy new wall decor!
By twinklenose from E TX
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.