Making a Sweetheart Cake
These sweet and dense cakes are reminiscent of a bar cookie. They are popular for celebrating Valentine's Day but a delicious dessert anytime. This is a guide about making a sweetheart cake
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This cake is simply delicious and way over the top for decadence. Made specially for Valentine's Day and your favorite Sweetheart, you'll only do this about once a year, so go ahead and treat you both. For this one day, we will not count calories.Read More...
This is a cute cookie-layered red velvet cake you can make with a box mix, Oreo cookies, chocolate kisses, and heart-shaped candies. It was a big hit in both taste and appearance!
I purposely did not follow the ingredient suggestions on the cake mix box so it would be more dense. This is definitely a denser and decadent cake this way.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 box (15 oz) red velvet cake mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 16 Oreo cookies
- 50 Cookies 'n' Cream Hershey's Kisses
- mini heart candies
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, oil, milk, and egg until you have a smooth batter.
- Lightly grease a 9x9 in. baking dish and pour in half the batter. Spread to distribute evenly.
- Place the cookies on top of this first layer. Use halves at some edges if they fit better so every bite has cookie.
- Pour on the rest of the batter on top evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Place on a wired rack and top with the Hershey's Kisses straight away while the cake is still piping hot.
- Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then spread the Kisses around. If any are still a bit solid, pop in the warm oven for a couple minutes until softened, then spread.
- Let cake cool for 20 minutes, then add mini heart candies on top. Let cool completely, then place in fridge to set for an hour.
- Cut and serve. Enjoy the moist red velvet, crunchy cookie layer, and the smooth yet crisp top. :)
September 21, 20170 found this helpful
A sweetheart cake is more like a brownie or cookie in texture. This particular recipe includes the addition of a delicious cream cheese based glaze.
This page contains a cream cheese sweetheart cake recipe.