A funky handmade Valentine's card for the young-at-heart, an easy craft for children.
Approximate Time: 20 minutes
- a printed copy of the provided pattern sheet
- 8.2 inches x 5.5 inches lightly textured cream-colored cardboard
- 4 inches x 4 inches piece of red riffled cardboard
- 4 inches x 4 inches piece of black felt
- one small red fabric bow
- one pair of small wiggle eyes
- the following two rhinestones: 1 red flat-back round rhinestone and 1 red flat-back heart rhinestone
See http://www.dreamtimecreations.com/ for a possible supplier.
- one red glitter pipe cleaner
- pair of standard scissors
- one heart-shaped cookie cutter
- quick-drying glue
- Pilot drawing pen, size 03
- sheet of ordinary red paper
- one matching envelope
- Fold the 8.2 inches x 5.5 inches cream-colored cardboard crosswise in half to create a card 5.5 inches x 4.1 inches ~ use the ruler to make the fold neat and smooth.
- Use the heart-shaped cookie cutter to trace a heart onto the red riffled cardboard and then cut it out.
- From the pipe cleaner, cut two 1.5 inch arms and two 2 inch legs.
- From the black felt, cut two hands and two feet, as well as a small mouth.
- Bend each arm 0.3 inches from the one side to make an "elbow" for each arm.
- Glue the arms and legs to the back of the heart. Remember to use only a small drop of glue for each arm and leg.
- Now, glue the heart (with the arms and legs already in place) onto the front of the card.
- Glue the felt hands and feet in place, again using only a small drop of glue to affix each hand and foot. Remember that the thumbs of the hands must be at the top.
- Now glue the eyes and mouth onto the heart to make a face. Then, using the red flat-back round rhinestone for a nose, glue it in place too.
- Glue the fabric bow in place at the top of the heart.
- Glue the red flat-back heart rhinestone in place where the two hands overlap.
- From the sheet of ordinary red paper, cut a piece sized 3.6 inches by 5.2 inches and glue it to the inside of the card. Using the Pilot drawing pen, write "My Valentine, I have your heart in my hands!" in ornamental writing on the piece of red paper that you have pasted on the inside of the card.
Photo 1: The pattern sheet for the hands and feet.
Photo 2: Use the heart-shaped cookie cutter to trace a heart onto the red riffled cardboard and then cut it out.
Photo 3: Bend each arm 0.3 inches from the one side to make an "elbow" for each arm.
Photo 4: Glue the felt hands and feet in place. Remember that the thumbs of the hands must be at the top.
Photo 5: Glue the eyes, nose, mouth and bow onto the heart.
Photo 6: Glue the red flat-back heart rhinestone in place where the two hands overlap.
Photo 7: The completed card.
By Benetta from Pretoria, Gauteng