Making the Most of Your Veterans Benefits

Being well informed about the different services and specials available for veterans, helps you get what you need. This guide is about making the most of your veteran's benefits.

A lot of places take veterans benefits to help aid in rent at assisted living homes and some private care homes. When we get older we think the rent for a private facility is way beyond our reach. However, if you are a veteran or a spouse of a veteran you may be entitled to a substantial amount of money to go towards your room and board every month. Also, many Veterans Administration hospitals give you free medical attention and medications. There are some exclusions to medication so you'd have to check into it. This can help you have a home away from home that is affordable.

So be sure to ask if you can get veterans benefits for a doctor visit, medication, and rent. It really helps a lot of people who do not belong in a nursing home.

Source: My place of business.

By Gem from VA

In order to get a veteran's discount at Lowe's I must present my veteran's card. Do I actually have to pay for the item or can someone else pay?

By crankitup from Manitowoc, WI

Answers

Maybe a call to the store manager would answer the question, they are a good company & I personally don't think they would care who actually pays the bill, someone else could be buying it as a gift for you or they may owe you money and you may be using the bartering method. Thank your husband for his service!

My husband, a Vietnam veteran, was talking to a friend about some household improvements we were making when the friend shared this very informative tip:

Lowe's Home Improvement stores offer a 10% discount to veterans every day. All you need to give them is something that identifies you as a veteran. That thoughtful offer on the part of Lowe's makes us even more loyal shoppers there, and the 10% is welcomed!

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Answers:

Veteran's Discount At Lowe's

Thank you, Sandy. Both my husband and I are Vietnam Vets and that additional 10% will sure come in handy when we purchase items at Lowe's. I'm wondering if Home Depot will match? (06/02/2009)

By xstchr92

Veteran's Discount At Lowe's

I thank you, too, Sandy! My husband and I are also both Vietnam Vets. The only thing that would make this better is if Lowe's would TELL PEOPLE that they do this! I had no clue! I have some home improvements coming up to be done. I'll sure be checking out Lowe's! (06/03/2009)

By Cricketnc

Veteran's Discount At Lowe's

Thanks. We need to buy a new screen door and that 10% will help. (06/03/2009)

By mulberry204

Veteran's Discount At Lowe's

I called Lowe's customer service and the lady said that Lowe's offers the 10% discount only on special days such as Veteran's and Memorial day. (06/03/2009)

By teverson

Veteran's Discount At Lowe's

Yes, Home Depot offers a Military discount. They also match any local price and beat it by 10%, plus give the military discount. (06/03/2009)

By cutecribs

Veteran's Discount At Lowe's

I just spoke with Katrina at our local Lowe's. She said all you need to do is provide proof of veteran status (a military ID or DD214, or any official document which equals either of these), and they now provide the discount daily. Boy, will that ever come in handy! Thanks for the heads-up! (06/06/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Veteran's Discount At Lowe's

Hello. I just called the Lowe's customer service as well, and the representative explained that each store is authorized to extend this to their local Veterans outside of the normal advertised periods. Semper Fi! (06/16/2009)

By LocalVeteranDiscounts

Veteran's Discount At Lowe's

I am a Vietnam era veteran and was also surprised to find out about this discount; but only after doing a whole house remodel and spending a small fortune at Lowe's. When I finally confirmed this at the checkout one day, I did receive the 10% on my next couple of visits. However, they then started insisting that I produce a government issued veterans i.d. My DD214 was no longer adequate. After confirming through the V.A. that no such i.d. exists except for active duty, retirees, or registered users of veterans health care at a VA center. You need to prove financial need for health care, by the way!

After several calls to a corporate PR dept. my plight seemed to fall on deaf or uncaring ears. I'll do all of my future shopping at Home Depot where my 214 is still good so far. If I'm ever in Lowe's again, I'll be tempted to ask the manager to ask any Lowe's employees on duty to show me their proof of military service. Wonder how many puzzled looks that will bring. Semper Fi! (03/20/2010)

By garybonham

Veteran's Discount At Lowe's

For some time now, after finding that Lowe's offered a Vets discount, I have used it for my purchases. I have gone out of my way to shop at Lowe's for this reason. Today I went in to purchase some screen doors and at the register I was told that my DD214 was not accepted. I needed to have a VA ID card. I'm a Vietnam era vet. After telling her that I did not have a VA card she said she would call a manager over. With several people in line I said I would pay the full bill and check into getting a card. I did go to the front desk after loading my truck and was informed that a VA ID was needed and that the DD214 was no longer accepted.

When I got home I called the Lowe's where I made the purchase and asked for the manager. He was not available, and I was given the Lowe's Customer Comment # at 1-800-445-6937. I then called the NYS Veterans Service Agency to see how to go about getting an ID and was informed that there is no such thing as a veterans ID card and that they have advised Lowe's to that effect. I then called the Lowe's Customer Support # above and was told that the 10% discount applies only for special veteran holidays. I let them know that there is no such thing as a VA ID card and to post the information in their stores. The young lady said she would pass the information on.

Lowe's is a good store and I have spent thousands of dollars in there over the years. The 10% discount was a great reason to shop there, but somewhere along the line they have messed up a good thing. I hope that they get their heads together and get back to honoring the Vets who support them.

Joe Urda (USN 1966-70) (06/07/2010)

By joeurda