Add to PageAsk a Question

Disabled Adult Child Social Security Benefits

Category Legal
This is a page about disabled adult child social security benefits. Distribution of Social Security benefits is a complicated topic. It is best to consult your local office to get answers, specific to your personal situation.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

My boyfriend just got approved for (DAC) on his deceased parents earnings record. So since he's going to be drawing off his parents record and not his own, can our 4 year old daughter draw auxillary benefits or is it that he has to be drawing off his own record rather than his parents for her to draw off of him?


April 8, 20171 found this helpful
Best Answer

Many people are not familiar with DAC benefits but there are several things that are not answered in your question.
How old is your boyfriend? Is he disabled and has been disabled before turning 22 years of age?
DAC is different from SSDI or SSI and some benefit rules are different. I believe he could loose his benefits if he marries (unless his wife is also disabled?) so I am not sure how having a child (without being married) would be handled. He would have to go to his local Social Security office and ask this question himself (they will not give the information to anyone else) and it cannot usually be obtained over the telephone.


Here are a couple of links that explain DAC:

Reply Was this helpful? 1
April 9, 20170 found this helpful
Best Answer

I'm sorry but in the first question you stated your boyfriend had been approved for DAC but in your reply you changed this to SSDI but both from his parents work record - so - which is it? There is a difference in these two programs and each has different criteria for approval.
As i stated in the my first answer - your boyfriend needs to go his local Social Security office (he can make an appointment) and get their official answer.
Questions that have not been answered - are you and your daughter presently living with your boyfriend? Has he been supporting you or paying support for your daughter? Have you applied for Social Security benefits for you and/or your daughter? Perhaps you need to go to the SS office and ask whether you and/or your daughter qualify for benefits. You may need papers to prove she is his daughter as well as his and your SS numbers.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 8, 20170 found this helpful

My boyfriend is 30 and he was disabled before 22 and they have approved him for child disabled before 22 and since he doesn't have that many work credits he was awarded to draw off his parents record for SSDI.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 8, 20170 found this helpful

There are a lot of factors to consider. He needs to go down to Social Security to find out if the child is eligible.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...
Business and Legal LegalMarch 1, 2018
Halloween Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/24 16:06:22 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!