FishPets

Male Platy is Not Swimming Like the Other Fish

Okay so I have a 15 gallon tank with a common goldfish and five platy (two females and three males). When I went to feed them I couldn't find one of the males. I found him and he's not swimming like the others. He can still swim up to the surface and will eat, but he's kinda just staying on the bottom of the tank. Do I need more females? Or is it something else? None of his fins have been nipped and he doesn't have anything that appears to be a swim bladder problem or anything like ick.

It's been years since I had fish, but here's what I little remember...platy don't like to be crowded. It is possible the tank isn't big enough for all of them and this one is having issues from being overcrowded.

Also platy need "pristine" water...so double check to make sure all of your levels are good and your filter is working correctly. That he is eating is positive, but the rest is troubling.

It is possible he has some underlying health issue, so to be safe, you may want to consider putting him into a quarantine tank to recuperate. He can be reintroduced to the group if he improves and shows no regression in symptoms for at least a week.

Don't add any new fish or make any food or other changes until this is all resolved just to be safe and not add any other variables.

In the meantime, if he was a recent purchase, I would call where
you got him to see if they have been having complaints about ill fish...just so you are aware. If they are reputable, they should tell you.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I would be concerned. One of the signs of illness is not swimming as vigorously as before. I would call the pet shop.

If you can get another fish tank and put him in that one by himself and see what happens.