Mama Sue's Sausage Stew

Sausage stew is a delicious and easy meal to throw together. It can be made on the stove, in a crockpot or in the oven. As a kid, we ate this meal several times a month. It is one of my favorite comfort foods as an adult. My siblings and I all have slightly different variations of our mom's recipe, this is my version. My husband prefers more broth and so I tend to add more liquid now, I also like to add a handful or two of roughly chopped kale because I love my greens. The original Grandma Sue recipe had very little liquid and the potatoes and carrots were starting to break down so you could mash them with a fork in your bowl. My mom would always add a good sized pad of butter on top.

1. Cut the sausage into 1/2 inch pieces. Brown the sausage on each side and set aside.
  2. Chop the onion and garlic. Cut the potatoes into 1 inch pieces. If using regular sized carrots cut into 1 inch rounds. If using baby carrots, leave whole.
  3. Advertisement

4. In the same pan that you browned the sausage in, sautee the onions until golden brown. Then add the garlic and sautee for a minute. Then add the potatoes and carrots. Add 1-2 cups of broth or water, depending on how much broth you want. Add the worcestershire sauce, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 15 minutes.
  5. Once the veggies have softened, add the sausage back in and cook for another minute or two, until the sausage is warmed.
  6. Serve with garlic bread.
  7. Advertisement

Here's another delicious stew recipe from Susan's mother: www.thriftyfun.com/Country-Stew.html

Does this need broth or a liquid added?

Hi, yes, thank you for pointing that out. You can put a 1-2 cups of water or broth depending on how much broth you like. My mom always made it with very little liquid but I have been adding more and more to this recipe as that is what my husband prefers. I went ahead and changed the recipe to reflect this.

In These Pages
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups StewAugust 13, 2014
🐛
😎
🌻
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Mama-Sues-Sausage-Stew.html